Update to the Early Years and School Age Childcare Sector (28th February)
The National Emergency Coordination Group (NECG) has met again this morning following the issuing of a Status Red weather warning in some parts of the country. Conditions are expected to worsen over Thursday and Friday in parts of the country and the NECG are advising that roads should be avoided in Status Red areas due to expected treacherous conditions. DCYA is advising childcare services that local decisions should be taken based on the weather status in their part of the country. In making this decision DCYA strongly advises that services have regard to any Met Eireann weather warnings in place, particularly when a red warning is in operation, the availability of transport, the accessibility of roads and whether schools in the area are open.
The safety of children, parents and staff is of utmost importance and we are aware that some services have already taken the decision to close their services today on foot of the current snowfall in parts of the country. The worst weather is currently predicted to occur on Thursday and Friday. DCYA will continue to attend the daily meetings of the NECG and update further as the day.
Information from across all government departments regarding the effects of the current weather situation can be found by visiting www.gov.ie
Early years settings should take decisions based on local conditions and the safety of staff, children and parents.
Should weather conditions in your locality determine that you must close your service, Clause 12 of the Grant Agreement for DCYA programmes refers to Force Majeure and the fact that services forced to close will be paid for children registered for current schemes.
DCYA will continue to update the sector via PIP updates and communication with stakeholders as the weather situation evolves.