The “Voice and Choice” Curriculum Framework is a collaborative project on behalf of the Limerick City Childcare Committee and the Targeting Educational Disadvantage project (TED) at the curriculum Development Unit, Mary Immaculate College, Limerick. The framework has a number of co-authors: Mary Maloney, Ann Higgins and Sandra Ryan.
A number of factors contribute to the delivery of a quality school age childcare service. A key element is the programme of activities delivered on a day to day basis with the emphasis on play. “Voice and Choice” is an activity based curriculum for the school age sector and provides support for practitioners in establishing appropriate environments, understanding the developmental needs of the diverse age range within school age childcare settings, and in providing invaluable guidance on how to plan activity programmes.
The framework is set out in two parts:
- Child Development
- School Age Environment
- Programme Planning
- Arts Education
- Physical well-being
- Fun with food
- Social & emotional well-being
The framework aims to support School Age Childcare Providers to:-
- Review and develop best practice collaboratively with relevant stakeholders
- Engage more meaningfully with parents and children about the type of school age childcare service they offer
- Develop inclusive practice
- Ensure that PLAY is the foundation of any school age childcare programme
- Actively involve children in the on-going development of school age childcare programmes
- Increase their knowledge and skill base
- Embrace a holistic approach to the delivery of school age childcare
- Participate in on-going training and development opportunities
- Engage in regular review and monitoring of emerging best practice in the school age childcare sector in Ireland.
For more information on the Voice & Choice Programme, contact Offaly County Childcare Committee on 057-9135878