What is a Story Sack?
A story sack is a large cloth bag containing a favourite children's book with supporting materials to stimulate language activities and make reading a memorable and enjoyable experience. In working with the children to tell the story, the following pointers are useful:
- Talk about the story and children’s favourite bits
- Ask children questions about the characters and the plot
- Retell the story using the models and story sack contents
- Find out more about the people and places in the story by looking at the non-fiction books to expand learning
- Draw a character or model one out of plasticene
- Draw a story map of the plot to help with re-telling the story
- Use the story to creatively engage the children in learning life lessons
We have Story Sacks in the Tracey Buckley Resource Library which you can borrow for your service.